"The best prescription I've ever given is a wish."
- Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
☆ What is Your Biggest Wish?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child's wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child's treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to... It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
☆ What's In It For You?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact and change the lives of children with critical illnesses within your community and across Canada
- A collaborative team environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package that includes group health and dental premiums which are fully covered by the Foundation, RRSP, & Wish paid hours
- Annual vacation starting at three weeks & additional paid leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Hybrid working environment
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests, and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness.
Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
☆ Where You Come In
We are looking for a Wish Coordinator to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. Reporting to the Sr Manager, Mission Advancement, the Wish Coordinator is responsible in managing the wish granting process from initial contact with the Wish Family, to the delivery and follow up of wishes. This position is also responsible for proactively maintaining existing relationships and seeking out new referral sources to ensure continued growth in the granting of wishes.
This position safeguards the interests of the Foundation and the Wish Families by following established procedures and guidelines as set out in the Wish Granting Policies and Procedures and by their supervisor.
This role is located in Vancouver and is a full-time, permanent, hybrid position.
☆ What You Will Do
- Researches, plans, coordinate, execute and follow up on wishes with Wish Families, ensuring the integrity of all wishes is met.
- Reviews all travel packages to ensure that tickets and vouches are correct and distribute travel packages to Wish Families according to best practice and reviews travel wish package in detail with Wish Families as needed.
- Collaborates with internal departments to assist with development and/or coordination of material for wish stories.
- Communicates with Wish Families and required resources such as; National Office, suppliers, sponsors, donors and community liaisons to ensure the execution of wishes (e.g., travel, items).
- Develops and assists with on-going engagement opportunities for Wish Families and the Foundation.
- Develops and maintains relationships with volunteers to ensure that they abide by Wish Granting Policies and Procedures.
- Creates and generates data for reports and ensures all reporting is up-to-date.
- Collaborates with the Senior Manager, Mission Advancement in identifying opportunities for development and growth in wish referral sources.
- Proactively identifies, visits and establishes relationships with new referral sources including physicians, social workers, nurses, educators and others.
- Represents the Foundation and is a spokesperson at various meetings and events as required.
- Establishes and maintains a network of external relationships with medical and health professionals, suppliers, referring organizations and community liaisons to assist in the granting of wishes.
- Other duties as assigned.
☆ What You Bring
- Post-secondary education in a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 2–3 years of experience in an administrative role with demonstrated experience in multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with children and youth aged 3-18 would be an asset.
- Understanding of basic medical terminology related to child illnesses would be an asset.
- Previous experience in travel or tourism would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and facilitation of training or orientation programs.
- Demonstrated experience dealing with highly sensitive customer service situations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and related search engines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills.
- Works under pressure with multiple tight deadlines, demands, high volume workload, and dynamic/overlapping priorities.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is a requirement for this position.
- A clear Criminal Background Check is required.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
- Internal candidates with at least 1 year of service at MAWC are welcome to apply.
☆ Your Work Environment
- Hybrid work environment; 2 days in-office per week, 3 days remote.
- Occasional work outside of regular office hours; this role requires the incumbent to be on-call for wish family emergencies during travel wishes.
- Some day/overnight travel.
- Works under pressure at peak times of the year with tight deadlines, high volume workload, and with multiple demands, changing and overlapping priorities.
- Emotional situations in dealing with wish recipients and families facing life threatening conditions or illnesses, in palliative care, and end-of-life stages.
☆ How To Apply ☆
If everything you’ve read so far sounds like you, we encourage you to apply now! The application deadline is May 31st, 2023, at 11:59pm ET.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
☆ Recruitment Process ☆
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Reviewed by Make-A-Wish Employee
- Phone Screening
- Reference Check
- Criminal Background Check
☆ About Make-a-Wish Canada ☆
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 37,000 wishes across the country, over 1000 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
☆ Join Our Online Community ☆
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.