"The best prescription I've ever given is a wish."
- Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
☆ What is Your Biggest Wish?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child's wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child's treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to... It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness.
Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
☆ What's In It For You?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact and change the lives of children with critical illnesses within your community and across Canada
- A collaborative team environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package, including a fully paid Benefits package, RRSP & Wish paid hours
- Annual Vacation starting at three weeks & Additional Paid Leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Hybrid working environment
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
☆ Where You Come In
We are looking for a Manager, Development to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. We are looking for a driven, energetic, and creative person who will be responsible for developing and executing strategies and providing expertise to coordinate all fundraising activities of the province/region including signature fundraising initiatives, third party events and the identification of new fund development opportunities. Acting as a representative of MAWC, this position safeguards the interests of the Foundation, donors, and fundraising event participants by following established fundraising policies.
This role is located in Edmonton, Alberta and is a full-time, permanent, hybrid position. Make-A-Wish Canada currently has in place a two-day in office policy. There may be times during the year when you will be expected to be in the office more frequently during high event times.
☆ What You Will Do
- Works in collaboration with Chapter Director to develop and execute short-term and long-term development goals for the chapter ensuring increased revenue year-over-year.
- Strengthens and expands revenue development opportunities with existing donors through cultivation and implementation of strategies.
- Recruits new corporate donors and develops customized stewardship strategies.
- Will lead and execute a signature event/campaign and support other team members in their leading of events.
- Manage grants and foundations from prospect research and applications to stewardship.
- Ensures all fundraising initiatives and donor cultivation is in keeping with relevant Foundation policies and practices.
- Adheres to Imagine Canada’s Ethical Code.
- Collaborates with national and regional staff as appropriate in fulfilling the mission, strategy and goals of the Foundation.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with stakeholders (National Office, volunteers, suppliers, sponsors, donors, media, and community liaisons) to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of all fundraising initiatives.
- Utilizes Salesforce to input and track donor activities.
- Acts as key ambassador and spokesperson for the Foundation, specifically when communicating with the media, donors and other stakeholders.
- Continuously works to increase awareness of MAWC through all contacts and business interactions through relationships, marketing, and promotion.
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations, and complies with the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Staff Management Accountabilities
- Recruits, engages and retains qualified employees to meet business priorities.
- Provides support and direction in the development, alignment and accomplishment of objectives through on-going performance feedback, recognition and coaching.
- Provides a safe and healthy work environment for team members and relevant stakeholders. Ensures they work in compliance with The Occupational Health & Safety Act in applicable province of employment, its regulations, and the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
Monitor department adherence to financial policies and controls. Determine expense projections as part of the budgeting and forecasting process. Authorize expenditures within approved guidelines. Monitor expenditures against budget and forecast and initiate appropriate remedial activity as required.
☆ What You Bring
- Post-secondary education in business or fundraising, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- CFRE designation or working towards is considered an asset.
- 5-7 years of experience in a fundraising/management role in the not-for-profit or charitable sectors.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising activities, donor relations and relationship management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively forge, manage and maintain long-standing stakeholder relationships.
- Proven ability to take initiative and carry projects to completion with minimal supervision
- Ability to lead a team and coach others to achieve common goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to exercise sound judgment in relations with a diverse group of volunteers, staff, clients, other agencies and healthcare professionals, suppliers and the general public.
- General financial management skills to meet/exceed revenue targets, ability to manage operations within an established budget; knowledge of government receipting requirements.
- Knowledge of philanthropy and employer sponsored volunteerism in the corporate giving sector an asset.
- Strong MS Office skills (Word/Excel/Outlook/PowerPoint).
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle and able to travel.
- Qualified internal candidates with at least 1 year of service at MAWC are welcome to apply.
- A clear Criminal Background Check required.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions
☆ Your Work Environment
- Hybrid work environment.
- Make-A-Wish Canada currently has in place a two-day in office policy. There may be times during the year when you will be expected to be in the office more frequently during high event times.
- Primary accountabilities are carried out in the regional Office, however, may be routinely required to attend indoor and outdoor events, or events outside of the Greater Edmonton Region within Northern Alberta.
- This position requires work outside or beyond traditional office hours and thus requires a flexible schedule year-round.
- Works under pressure of tight deadlines, with high volume workload, and with multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Demonstrates emotional resiliency to be able to conduct cold-calls and continue to develop donor relations.
☆ How To Apply ☆
If everything you’ve read so far sounds like you, we encourage you to apply now! The application deadline is February 8, 2022.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
☆ Recruitment Process ☆
We thank all applicants for their interest, and we are committed to getting back to all applicants.
Reviewed by Make-A-Wish Employee
- Phone Screening
- 1st Interview
- 2nd Interview
- Reference Check
- Criminal Background Check
☆ About Make-a-Wish Canada ☆
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 36,000 wishes across the country, over 900 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
☆ Join Our Online Community ☆
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.